Tuesday, January 17

the year-long ache

If you think I’ve spent the nights you’ve been gone alone, you are very much mistaken. I have had many visitors in our bedroom. I cannot count the nights I’ve spent with worry, fear, anger, and sadness…but never you. They’ve tucked me into bed and woken me in the morning, but never you. They’ve slipped under the covers and saddled up next to me, stroking my hair and whispering things in the dark, but never you. Worry has inched its way into me, getting comfortable, and making sure I am aware of its all-consuming presence. Anger has passionately burst through the bedroom doors, filling the room with its heat and hatred, while ripping back the sheets. Sadness has quietly scooped me up, holding me until I see the first bits of dawn breaking over our balcony. Loneliness has watched me from your side of the bed, not reaching out to me, just curiously watching me. 


But never you. It’s never you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment