Sunday, March 25

you can get addicted to a certain kind of sadness

This weekend was wonderful. Jam-packed and busy, but wonderful.

Friday was date night! I had been looking forward to it all week. Mexican food, the Hunger Games {!}, and my sweet hubby? Yes, bitte. I obviously had to channel some Katniss and sport a braid for the occasion. 
Per usual, Zack & I filled up on chips & salsa at Cantina Mexicana, so we split our favorite- the Burrito Poblano. So. good.Well, as good as you're going to get in Germany anyway.
How did we like the movie? Well, when you anticipate something for so long, there's a 97% chance you're going to be let down in some way. I wasn't as let down as Zack was (don't even ask him about it, unless you're willing to sit for 45 minutes listening to him list off all of his grievances with the movie), but I definitely thought the movie lacked the same spark that the book had, which gained it so many devoted fans. I know the movie is never as good as the book, but I was really hoping it would be close. I didn't hate it, I just didn't love it like I did the books. (FYI, I read Catching Fire in the course of a day.) My favorite casting choices were Katniss, Cinna, & Caesar, I thought they were all brilliant. Everyone else, I was just sort of like,  "well huh." Regardless of the fact we didn't fall in love with the movie, we still had fun. The theater was packed to capacity, and we split some delicious popcorn (not kidding, best I've ever had) and got to drink German beer while watching it.

We were so excited to get to sleep in on Saturday. Unfortunately, my body thinks 'sleeping in' is waking up at 7:30 AM. Oh well. Zack made blueberry & banana pancakes and chocolate chip pancakes. I was a huge help by making the coffee, and introducing him to our newest obsession, Gotye's "Somebody That I Used to Know" We have listened to it probably 47 times now since Saturday. It does not get old. I also had to educate him on what 'dubstep' is. (I think he lives in his own little world sometimes.)

After breakfast, I decided it was time for spring cleaning in the Willey house. Our house is always neat, but not always clean, and I was ready for a thorough scrub down. Inspired by the movie the previous night, we put all of the rooms into a cup and took turns drawing to see who had to clean what. Totally normal.
Saturday evening was a goodbye party for sweet Gretchen & Josh, who PCS back to the States in a few days. The theme was "Bright & Tight" and everyone delivered. It was a great time- full of friends, delicious food, homemade Four Lokos (yeah) & hours upon hours of dance sessions. Surprisingly, there were no tears or sentimental moments, for me anyway. It didn't even seem like a "goodbye" party, I think because we're all sort of trying to pretend it's not happening. So if we keep laughing, drinking, and dancing, we won't be still long enough to remember what is quickly approaching.
Zack doing nothing to help the Germans with their already ridiculous staring problems.
Sunday morning we went to a birthday brunch for Jamie's mom at the Ramstein Officer's Club. It was $22 a person, and was almost worth it, perhaps if I had a stomach the size of a cow. The food was good, and incredibly varied. Fresh waffles, crab legs, stir fry, fried chicken, fish, mashed potatoes, eggs & bacon, french fries, omelettes, and a dessert table that stared me down the entire time. Happy birthday Lori!
On the way home from brunch, we stopped at the St. Wendel Ostermarkt (Easter market.) I was incredibly sad I had just finished stuffing myself to the point of delirium, because the food there looked awesome. The market was pretty much like the Christmas markets, just much warmer and with bunnies everywhere. (Also notably absent: glühwein.

The only bad part of having such a fun weekend is the reality of Monday morning that is going to smack us straight in the face at 5 AM tomorrow. Le sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment