Tuesday, June 12

in fair Verona, where we lay our scene

The story of Romeo & Juliet has always held a special place in my heart. We read the play in either 6th or 7th grade Honors Lit, I can't remember. But I can remember that that was the first time Zack & I really became friends. We joked about the characters, and ad-libbed our own lines under our breaths while reading aloud to class. I remember stifling giggles under Mrs. Warren's watchful eye, and wracking my brain for something clever to say in return to Zack. And here we are, 14 years later- married, visiting Verona, and still giggling. 

We had nearly four days to spend in Venice, so we figured we would use one of those to hop over to Verona. Armed with meringue (basically giant Lucky Charms...amazing) and books, we rode about an hour and a half West of Venice, to the fair city. After leaving the train station, we began our usual wanderings and strolled the pretty streets. We saw the Verona Arena, a bunch of presumably old buildings, and Casa di Giulietta- Juliet's house. 
Speaking of, that is where all the tourists were- cramped like sardines into a tiny little courtyard covered in graffiti, gazing up wistfully at an ordinary balcony (purported to be Juliet's), and taking kissy pics like star-crossed lovers. I didn't have the heart to tell them that Romeo Montague & Juliet Capulet are fictional characters, born in the brilliant depths of Shakespeare's mind. I figured doing so would be akin to looking a four-year-old in the eyes and flatly declaring the non-existence of Santa Claus. So I graciously let all the tourists continue to wait in line for hours to go up on Juliet's balcony and listen to the (butchered) lines their significant other would yell up to them. 
We walked along the river until we found a little restaurant to eat lunch, even though it was well past 2 PM. They didn't have an English menu, and we were feeling awfully brave, so we just sort of picked something that sounded vaguely good. I know "good" is a really subjective word, but I don't know who in their sane mind would consider what we got as being anywhere near the realm of "good." I am pretty sure Zack got some sort of animal's tongue and I got raw beef. I managed to choke mine down (food is food y'all) but poor Zack who is normally a very adventurous eater, couldn't muster more than three bites of his. Luckily we had bread and a liter of wine, so we walked away from the table somewhat satisfied and a little day-tipsy.  
For some reason or another, we thought it'd be fun to climb a bunch of steep stairs that I thought would never end. (Zack found my struggle to get up the stairs just hilarious and documented my journey with the camera.) The climb was worth it, though, as the views of Verona were breathtaking. We admired the beauty below us, and rested our burning quads atop a stone ledge. The sun and red wine had our eyelids feeling heavy, so we accidentally took a nap on top of the city. I woke myself up when I almost rolled off the side in my sleep. There are worse ways to die, but I am glad my life didn't end at the bottom of an Italian ravine. Although it would kind of be romantic, I suppose. But only if Zack jumped to his death too. 

"Never was a story of more woe,
than this of Juliet and her Romeo."
Side note: I had Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet soundtrack in my head almost the entire time we were in Verona. That was the 2nd CD I got (second only to Hanson) and I still know every song in that movie by heart. 

Do that Romeo, that go-go Romeo
I see you twist and turn, 
you look so stupid, happy and numb

1 comment:

  1. That was one of my first CDs too! (and jagged little pill) and...
    wait...
    santa claus isn't real?

    ReplyDelete